Saturday, October 4, 2014

Book Tags: Book Scenario Tag/ Opposites Book Tag

Hey, y'all! So I've kinda run out of Tumblr challenges that I found exciting... I'm gonna try and find more in the next couple weeks, but for today, I just couldn't find any that interested me, so I decided to do a couple book tags that I found on Youtube.



Book Scenario Tag


1. You have to get rid of all your books and you can only keep one from each of these genres - contemporary, fantasy, non-fiction and one other genre of your choosing. What books do you keep?


Contemporary:
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

This book makes me cry every single time I read it, and it is 100% my favorite contemporary!


Fantasy:
Harry Potter by JK Rowling

Don't you DARE try to tell me that this is more than one book. I refuse to choose.


Non-Fiction:
Unsaid Things... Our Story by McFly

Unlike many booktubers/book bloggers, I actually really enjoy non-fiction, specifically when it relates to music, psychology, or a combination of the two. I was really torn between this one and "This Is Your Brain on Music" by Daniel Levitin, which is my favorite music psychology book.


Other genre:
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

So for the "other" genre, I chose mystery so that I could choose my favorite stand-alone novel, And Then There Were None. I was really, really tempted to choose dystopian (aka one of my 2 favorite genres) so that I could choose Ready Player One, but I couldn't leave out my favorite book.



2. You're at the bookstore and you hear a teenager telling their mom they don't like to read, but their mom insists they pick something. You walk over and recommend a book you think is great for people who aren't big on reading - what book is it?

This definitely depends on the person, so I probably wouldn't just recommend one book universally to everyone. My instinct would be to just tell them to read Harry Potter, but that takes a while to get into, especially if you're not 11 or younger when you start it. So I guess that if there's one book I think most people would enjoy, it's...


I have non-reader friends who have read this book and loved it, so I feel like this is a pretty good suggestion.


3. You're not feeling yourself and need a pick me up. Which book do you read to put yourself in a great mood?


This is a hard one for me, because I'm pretty emotionally consistent, so I really don't need pick-me-ups that often, and when I do, I put on some music and I'm good to go. Books take too long to cheer me up. But I guess if I was just going for a cute and happy book, this would be the one I'd choose...


It's just so cute and I want to hug it!


4. You go back in time for a day to your teenage years. What book would you most likely have caught yourself reading?



I read all of the Harry Potter books on a regular basis, but I definitely read this one more than any of the others.


5. Your friend surprises you with a 4 day trip and you have 1 hour to pack. Which book do you bring to read on the way?


Since I'm reading all horror novels in the month of October, I decided to choose one of those. I've already started another book (172 Hours on the Moon) but that's not long enough to keep me occupied for that long. So I chose The Diviners, which is significantly longer and will probably keep me entertained for the full four days. 


6. Your house has been robbed! Don't worry - everyone is safe, but your bookshelf has been raided. What's the book you really hope is safe?


I had to choose both of these, because they have sentimental value for me. If I was forced to choose one, I guess I'd go with Half-Blood Prince because it's my favorite Harry Potter book and I actually got to go to the midnight release of the book. These are more important to me than my signed copy of TFioS.

Also, I would like to apologize for the fact that half of these have referenced Harry Potter so far. Generally, I have other answers, but when you ask about what I'd do if I could only save one book, the answer is always HP.


7. Your friend borrows a book and returns it in awful condition. Do you a) Just pretend you haven't noticed b) Ask them to repurchase it or c) Secretly do the same to something of theirs?


If I'm being honest, I'd probably pretend I hadn't noticed... depending on the book. However, I would hope that I'd be assertive. I don't think I'd make anyone repurchase it, especially since I like to choose the edition of the copy. I think that realistically, I'd probably mention that it didn't return in the condition it left in and give them a chance to explain. If they offered to pay for it, I'd let them. But I definitely wouldn't let them borrow a book again. I typically don't lend out books anyway. I just don't trust people. Lending books makes me nervous.


Opposites Book Tag

1. The first book in your collection/The last book you bought. 

First book in my collection:

I don't remember exactly when I got this, but it was definitely like 2002/2003ish. It's definitely the book I've owned the longest. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince comes in second, in July 2005.

Last book I bought:

I've actually bought one book since this, but I want to save it for the haul, so I'll just show y'all this one. I got it a couple weeks ago, planning to read it immediately, and it didn't happen. I wanted to use it to get out of my reading slump, but ended up just adding another book to the TBR.


2. A cheap book/An expensive book

Cheap book:

Not my favorite classic, but hey, it was 99 cents! And it was the cover I liked and it was in good condition. All good things.


Expensive book:


This is probably the book I paid the most for. I got both this one and Half-Blood Prince the day they were released. For HBP, I went to the midnight release and because I pre-ordered it, I got a discount. I pre-ordered Deathly Hallows and planned to get it at midnight but then my parents scheduled our vacation and we traveled back home the day it was released. So I'd have to wait until I got home to buy it. And I was like "Nope, not having any of that" so I got it full-price at the airport on the morning of its release. My parents didn't get it, but I have never regretted that decision. I don't even know where my 13 year old self got the $35 dollars. Maybe I still had birthday money?

3. A book with a male protagonist/A book with a female protagonist. 

Male protagonist: 

Ready Player One is told from the POV of a teenager named Wade. Y'all, this was such a great book. So awesome. I kinda want to re-read it already, and I read it in August.

Female protagonist:

Since 90% of YA books have a female protagonist, I decided to limit it to books actually told from the first person POV of that protagonist. And the first one that came to mind was Divergent!

4. A book you read quickly/A book that took you a long time to read. 

Read quickly: 

Typically, if I read a book in a day (the first time I read it), it's going to end up as a favorite. That was definitely the case with Clockwork Princess. I couldn't put it down. Other members of the one day club include Divergent, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Thirteen Reasons Why, City of Bones, and The Fault in our Stars... to name a few.

A book that took a long time:

I read the entire series back in the fall of my freshman year of high school (AKA 6 years ago) and I got through all of the other books in like 3 days apiece. And then we came to Breaking Dawn. It took like 3 weeks for me to read this. When I got to the part from Jacob's POV, I just couldn't get into it. Once it switched back to Bella's POV, I started zooming through it again. Breaking Dawn and Allegiant are examples of the negative effects of randomly inserting a dual POV into the last book of a series. Don't do it, authors!


5. A pretty cover/An ugly cover. 

Pretty cover: 

I always choose a book from the Across The Universe trilogy as a pretty cover (because the original covers of the first two are GORGEOUS) but I decided to choose something different for a change. I love the Ignite Me cover. I love all of the colors. So pretty!

Ugly cover:

It's not that this cover is overwhelmingly terrible. It's just that the first 2 books in the Across The Universe trilogy had these gorgeous, space-themed covers, and then they made THIS the cover of book 3, and changed the paperback covers of the first 2 books to match this design, and it's just so much worse


6. A national book/An international book. 

National book:


Not only does this take place in the United States, but specifically, Texas, which is where I'm from. Well, kinda. I lived there all throughout High School, so I consider it home. 


International book:

This book was written by a Norwegian author. None of the 3 main characters are American. Most of this book takes place on the moon. Aside from the training they do with NASA, this is about as international as it gets.


7. A thin book/A thick book. 

Thin book:

My copy of this book is tiny. I don't know how many pages it is, but it's really tiny.

Thick book:

This monster has 1079 pages. I think that one of my reading goals for next year is going to be to try and read at least 5 books that are over 800ish pages long. This is definitely on the list, as is Under the Dome, and the first few Game of Thrones books.


8. A fiction book/A non-fiction book. 

A fiction book:

Could this question be any more vague? I just decided to choose my most recent fiction read. 

A non-fiction book:

I decided not to choose McFly again, and this is my other favorite non-fiction book. 

9. A romantic book/An action book. 

Romantic book:

In the youtube video I saw of this challenge, another stipulation was that the book was overly romantic. And that's this book. To much romance, not enough of everything else. 

Action book: 

Yes, I know this is a series. However, overall, these books are very action-focused. Although romance factors in a little (honestly, not a lot at all), it's almost solely focused on the action. 


10. A book that made you happy/One that made you sad. 

Book that made me happy:

This book sent me into fits of uncontrollable giggles. All the happiness. So cute. Much love.

Book that made me sad:

I cry every single time I read this book. Every time. So good. All the sobbing. 


So that's it for today's post! I promise to get back to the actual challenges next time!

I've also created a Facebook page for my blog, so if you want to check that out and like it, you can click HERE. I'll try to keep that pretty up-to-date with new posts and such.

Thanks for reading! If you like my posts, I'd really appreciate if you'd subscribe/follow so that I know you're enjoying what I'm posting! See y'all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you thought of my posts, so feel free to let me know!